I’m the author of Applied Ballardianism: Memoir from a Parallel Universe, a work of theory-fiction. It was translated in Italian as Ballardismo Applicato.
Other books I’ve written or edited include:
- Extreme Metaphors: Interviews with J.G. Ballard 1967-2008
- Changing the Climate: Utopia, Dystopia & Catastrophe
- Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Home-Made Nations
- Demanding the Impossible: Utopia & Dystopia
I also write about digital culture, architecture, travel, cities and urbanism, film, animation, music, sound design and literature.
- My academic publications are indexed on academia.edu, and citations of my work are on Google Scholar.
- Here’s my Goodreads author page.
- I’ve written over 500 posts on ballardian.com.
Here’s a selection of my published writing:
- ‘Sentient glitchglot cheater infection: from discovery to ongoing review‘ (short story), in Insufficient Armour, Nero, 2020
- ‘Foreword to Applied Ballardianism‘ (short story), Urbanomic, 2019
- Applied Ballardianism: Memoir from a Parallel Universe (novel), Urbanomic, 2018
- ‘Purple Light‘ (short story), Happy Hypocrite #8: Fresh Hell, ed Sophia Al-Maria, 2015
- ‘Journey to the Centre of Google Earth‘ (essay), Only Connect, 2014
- ‘Welcome to Hollingsville‘ (foreword), Bright Labyrinth, Ken Hollings, Strange Attractor, 2014
- ‘Zones of Transition: Micronationalism in the work of J.G. Ballard‘ (essay), J.G. Ballard: Visions and Revisions, eds Jeannette Baxter & Roland Wymer, 2012
- ‘Red-dirt Voodoo: Rebuilding Australia’s Northwest‘ (essay), Architectural Review Asia-Pacific magazine #128: New Civic Realms, ed Simon Sellars, 2012
- ‘A Launchpad for Other Explorations’ (introduction), Extreme Metaphors: Interviews with J.G. Ballard 1967-2008, eds Simon Sellars & Dan O’Hara, Fourth Estate, 2012
- ‘If You Want Blood, You’ve Got It: or, What’s the Point of Architecture Criticism?’ (essay), Australian Design Review, 2012
- ‘Changed by the Climate‘ (afterword), Changing the Climate: Utopia, Dystopia and Catastrophe, eds Andrew Milner, Simon Sellars & Verity Burgmann, Arena Publications, 2011
- ‘Red Zone: the Regeneration of Christchurch‘ (essay), Architectural Review Australia #123: The Resilient City, ed Simon Sellars, 2011.
- ‘In Defence of the Virtual: A Secret History of Ballardian Film Adaptations‘ (essay), Vagant, 2011
- ‘Flesh dissolved in an acid of light: the b-movie as second sight‘ (essay), Continuum, 2010
- ‘Postcards from the Edgelands (for Marion Shoard)‘ (photo essay), Infrastructure as Architecture: Designing Composite Networks, eds Katrina Stoll & Scott Lloyd, Jovis, 2010
- ‘Hakim Bey: Repopulating the Temporary Autonomous Zone‘ (essay), Journal for the Study of Radicalism, 2010
- ‘Magisterial, precise, unsettling: Simon Reynolds on JG Ballard‘ (interview), 032c, 2009
- ‘Miracles of Life‘ (foreword), Miracles of Life (Greek translation), J.G. Ballard, Oxy, 2009
- ‘Extreme Possibilities: Mapping the sea of time and space in J.G. Ballard’s Pacific fictions‘ (essay), Colloquy, 2009
- ‘Sealand: On the Heap‘ (travelogue), The Australian, 2007
- ‘Rattling Other People’s Cages: The J.G. Ballard Interview‘, Ballardian, 2006
- ‘Adam Elliot: Urban Eccentric‘ (interview), The Age, 2003
- ‘Retrospecto: La Jetee‘ (review), Abaddon, 2000