- 27 February. Spoken-word presentation: excerpts from ‘Love is a Totalitarian State that Grows Deep Inside Me’, launch of Šum 14: Ljubljanastrophe: Alien Perspectives, Modern Galerija, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- 28 February: Presentation, ‘A Secret History of Zones’, as part of the panel, ‘The Power of City, The City of Power’, alongside Keller Easterling and Elvia Wilk. Fabula Literary Festival, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Italian tour to promote Ballardismo Applicato
- 4 March: Trieste (venue TBC).
- 5 March: Q&A with Francesco Bergamo, Marco Polo Library, Venice.
- 6 March: Q&A with Gino Scatasta, Libreria modo infoshop, Bologna.
- 7 March: Rome (venue TBC).
- 9 March: Q&A, Circolo dei lettori, Turin.
- 12 March: ‘Unfamiliar Planet’, Q&A with Urbanomic’s Robin Mackay, in support of Applied Ballardianism, New Cross House, London, England.
- Publication: Ballardismo Applicato (Nero), the Italian translation of Applied Ballardianism.
- Publication: Applied Ballardianism: Memoir from a Parallel Universe (Urbanomic).
- Presentation: In Defence of the Virtual: A Secret History of Ballardian Cinema, Only Connect Festival of Sound, Oslo, Norway.
- Presentation, ‘No Original Response: J.G. Ballard, CCTV & Surveillance Culture’, University of Oslo, Norway.
- Presentation, In Defence of the Virtual: A Secret History of Ballardian Cinema, V&A (London) and COFA, UNSW (Sydney).
- Publication: Extreme Metaphors: Interviews with J.G. Ballard 1967-2008 (Fourth Estate).
- Presentation: ‘If You Want Blood, You’ve Got It: or, What’s the Point of Architecture Criticism?’, as part of the panel Bloodsport or Boosterism? alongside Naomi Stead, Ian McDougall and Tom Morgan.
- Managing Editor, Architectural Review Asia Pacific.
- Publication: Changing the Climate: Utopia, Dystopia & Catastrophe (Arena).
- Presentation: ‘Art, Architecture and Dystopia: Christchurch After the Quake’, SCAPE Festival of Public Art, Christchurch, New Zealand. Appeared on the panel ‘Imagined Futures’ with Ash Keating, Bill McKay, Hugh Nicholson and William Field.
- Research Fellow, Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory, RMIT University. Worked on a study of urban environments in speculative fiction and film.
- Research Associate, Centre for Comparative Literature & Cultural Studies, Monash University. Researched representations of utopia and dystopia in film, television and literature.
- Academic publications listed here.
- Speaker, Changing the Climate: Utopia, Dystopia and Catastrophe, conference hosted by Monash University. Paper: ‘Affirmative architectural dystopias: experimental relations between humans and the built environment’.
- Speaker, ‘B for Bad Cinema: Aesthetics, Politics and Cultural Value’, Monash University conference. Paper: ‘‘Flesh dissolved in an acid of light’: the B-movie as second sight’.
- PhD, Monash University. Thesis: The Yes or No of the Borderzone.
- Co-editor, Colloquy: Text, Theory, Critique. Special issue: ‘Demanding the Impossible: Utopia, Dystopia and Science-Fiction’.
- Speaker, Time. Transcendence. Performance., conference hosted by ACMI and Monash University. Paper: ‘Confronting Ourselves: J.G. Ballard and Circular Time’.
- Speaker, Under Construction Seminar Series, Monash University. Paper: ‘Crashing the Car: Impossible Ballardian Adaptations’.
- Speaker, Kosmopolis 08, Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Spain. Appeared on the panel ‘Myths of a Near Future’ with Bruce Sterling and V. Vale.
- Publication: Demanding the Impossible: Utopia and Dystopia (Arena).
- Speaker, Futures 2008, conference hosted by the Cultural Studies Association of Australia. Paper: ‘The Rats that Ate Mill Park’. Appeared on the panel ‘Imagining the Great Southern Land: Utopia, Dystopia and Science Fiction’ with Andrew Milner and Verity Burgmann.
- Speaker, From Shanghai to Shepperton: An International Conference on J.G. Ballard, conference hosted by the University of East Anglia, Norwich, England. Paper: ‘J.G. Ballard’s Micronational Dystopias’.
- Publication: Micronations: the Lonely Planet Guide to Home-made Nations (Lonely Planet Publications).
- Editor, Subterrain (Ozanam Community Centre), a magazine about Melbourne’s homeless community. Supported by a City of Melbourne arts grant.
- Founder, editor and publisher, Sleepy Brain, a document of Melbourne’s artistic underground, archived by the National Library of Australia as an “online publication of national significance”.
- Founder, Liquid Architecture, a national festival of sound art.
- Publication: Amorphik: An Erotic Constellation.
- Speaker, Speaking Science Fiction, a conference hosted by Liverpool University, Liverpool, England. Paper: ‘Freefall in Inner Space: From Crash to Crash Technology’.